Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Soup Party

Soups: Ginger Root Vegetable, Steak Chili, Matzoh Ball

Can I take a second to talk about one of my favorite parties of the year? Soup Day. The party was on Sunday and we had such a great time. We played Celebrity (I was Socrates, Tahnee was Stephen King, and Sam was Tom Hanks), watched football, and hung out with a baby. Magic.

There are lots of reasons why Soup Day is the greatest. See the aforementioned Celebrity, Football, and Baby. But the star of the party is definitely the soup. A few reasons why soup really is a great theme: 

First: Timing. My friend Molly has the party in January, which is peak soup weather. I mean, when it is so cold outside that my feet are freezing even though I'm wearing socks and am under 3 blankets, a bowl of piping soup is like a warm hug for your internal organs.

Second: Simplicity. Soup is the perfect potluck item. You don't have to worry about portions, just make one pot. And if people bring crockpots you can plug them in in different spots and they will keep themselves warm and ready without much supervision. Plus soup means you can have plenty of crusty bread, which is great. People love crusty bread. We're like pigeons that way.

Third: Variety. Every year (and they have been doing this a lot of years) there are at least 10 different kinds of soup to try. So much fun and it never gets boring. This year I had my first ever Matzoh Ball Soup, there was also Chili, Ginger Root Vegetable, Turkey and Kale, Cauliflower Puree, and a bunch more I didn't even get to. It is so fun to try so many different kinds of soup, and if you come across one that isn't your favorite, you just move onto the next.

As you can see, the virtues of a Soup Party are plentiful. Hopefully this inspires you to gather some friends and break out your crock pots. But if you still aren't convinced, consider this: I ate a bunch of soup and I haven't caught a cold or flu yet. Let's hope I can ride this magical soup wave out until Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment