Monday, December 3, 2012

One Strange Bird

Watch out little ship!

Hey, check it out. I carved that stamp! That's right, this Sunday I spent a leisurely afternoon at One Strange Bird taking their Block Printing (or what I keep calling "stamp carving" because I'm a total rube) workshop, and it was great! After a particularly disastrous incident with block printing last year when I thought I'd use my exacto knife and just sort of "figure it out", I actually learned the proper (and so simple) technique for carving a stamp. And now I think I'm kind of addicted.


My friend Michelle came to the class with me, and carved a geometric design that, when stamped multiple times in a row, made a really cool repeating pattern. It looked great on her stationary and the coordinating envelopes.

The most amazing thing to me about the class was that a good number of ladies in our 16 person group described themselves as "not crafty" or "not artsy" but everyone did so well. They made beautiful prints and cards, and I think about half of us took home supplies to make more. I definitely recommend checking out their classes

And did I mention it was BYOB? Well consider it mentioned.


Here is another design from a girl in our workshop. The lines around the feather aren't part of the original drawing, but really just the result of carving out the area around the stamp. I guess technically you could say they are a "mistake" (if you wanted a perfectly clean print you would just go back and carve deeper) but I think they give the image such a cool handmade vibe, I wouldn't change a thing.

After the class we looked around the shop, a mixture of vintage goodies, handmade stuff, and art supplies, and I picked up a tool for carving more stamps at home. I can't wait to put it to use. Thanks to One Strange Bird for the awesome class. I'll definitely be back soon.

3 comments:

  1. What a great place to get crafty and get encouragement and inspiration from other talented ladies. Brittany, your ship and octopus turned out unbelievable! One of a kind. I want to somehow attach my stamp to a wooden block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea :) I'll keep an eye out for some good wood scraps.

      Delete