Monday, November 26, 2012

DIY: Washi Tape Ornaments

Washi Ornament

Hey, did everyone have a great Thanksgiving? Here, I made you this pie:

Thanks Pie
Try not to lick the screen.
I hope your Thanksgiving was lots of fun, however you chose to spend it. Eating, napping, bare knuckle boxing for a big screen tv. Whatever. As for me and mine, we had a movie marathon, enjoyed video games and knitting, and decked the halls so hard they are probably still shaking. We put up the tree and I continued my quest to replace all of my original store bought ornaments with cool homemade ones. So, on Sunday I bought a few porcelain balls from the craft store and used my trusty washi tape to make some new ones.

Washi Ornament


Washi Ornament Pattern

I don't really have a tutorial for this project. The basic steps are have ball, apply tape, but here are a few tips.
  • Choose the right tape for your design. The neon ones were okay, but I really liked the graphic quality of the stripes. Polka dots might be cool.
  • Some washi tape is transparent, so plan your design accordingly. Where my stripes crossed I got a cool grid effect.
  • Depending on the size of your ball, the tape may be too wide to lay nicely. I cut my strips in half lengthwise and that worked well.
  • Washi tape is easily removed and repositioned, so don't be afraid to try out different patterns. You can always scrap it if you don't like it.


I made one with stripes, a cool graphic snowflake (there is a black snowflake on the reverse side) and some inverted zig zags. Honestly I kind of love them, and I'm keeping my eyes peeled for interesting tape designs to make more. I'd love to see any you create!

P.S. While you're at it, check out last year's felt roll up ornaments.

8 comments:

  1. Love that snowflake one! But what's washi tape?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is this Japanese craft tape. Kinda like masking tape but not exactly? And it comes in so many designs and colors. You can buy it here: http://wishywashi.com/ Also, Michael's sells it in stores now.

      Delete
  2. What an adorable idea!!!! I gotta see if my Michael's has it! =) And I got a 50% off coupon! Woohoo!!

    Ergo - Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes, coupons are the best :)

      Delete
  3. I got my washi tape yesterday and am totally trying this project. Your ornaments look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The designs look great on the white ornament. So clever :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The ornament is porcelain so I grabbed a few for Marimekko inspired sharpie doodling as well.

      Delete