Friday, June 24, 2011

DIY: Clear Jar Labels and Freezer Jam


When I was little I was strictly a jelly kid. I was team jelly like Katy Perry is team hot pants.  There was no way to break us up.  Jam was a creation that I totally didn't get.  I didn't like any fruits not presented in their original form, and jam, with its chunks of fruit that had been in that jar for who knows how long, just didn't appeal to me.

I finally warmed up to jam last year when I was taking baby steps towards canning. I found out about freezer jam and I was sold, it is easy, fresh and tasty.  Plus making your own jam really makes me feel like a capable lady.  Afterward I was pretty sure I could sew all my own clothes from then on, but I remembered I can't load a bobbin so I promptly got over that.

Part of the fun of canning your own jam is making cute labels. I don't really love how paper labels look so I wanted a clear one for my jam (formerly salsa) jar with packaging tape. Here is how:


First print out your image with a laser printer. Then lay a length of packaging tape (that measures the circumference of your jar) on top of it. Press on the back of the paper to make sure all of the text is stuck to the tape.


Next let your piece of tape soak in a bowl of water.  I let mine soak for as much time as it took to make edamame, so like 15 minutes. 


After it has soaked, take the piece of tape out and peel back the paper.  It should come off pretty easily, once you have just a little bit left use the pad of your finger rub the small bits off.  You should be left with a piece of tape that has your image on it.  Let the tape air dry and it will still be sticky, then you can put it directly on your jar.  


Now your jar is ready to be filled with jam.  Or jelly, whatever.

Freezer Jam Recipe: 

  • 4 Cups Crushed Fruit (some people use a food processor on their fruit but I like a more rustic jam, so I just go to town on it with a meat tenderizer)
  • 1 and 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 package (1.59oz) Ball Freezer Jam Pectin
Just combine the sugar and pectin in a small bowl and then add in 4 cups of crushed fruit.  Stir for 3 minutes and let stand for 30 minutes to thicken.  After that your jam is ready.  Ladle into jars and refrigerate, store any jam you aren't using in the freezer in plastic containers until you are ready to use it.



1 comment:

  1. those jars are so cute! now i want to make jam!

    ReplyDelete